Note that in Japanese and Korean, the character is written 龴+田+力, as found in the Kangxi dictionary. In traditional Chinese (Hong Kong and Taiwan) and Vietnamese script, the character is written 龴+用+力. In modern simplified Chinese, the character is written similar to the traditional Chinese form but the lower right hook of 用 is missing.
- KangXi: page 147, character 35
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 2360
- Dae Jaweon: page 332, character 16
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 1, page 372, character 7
- Unihan data for U+52C7
|simp. and trad.
- 勇敢 ― yǒnggǎn ― brave
- 民勇於公戰，怯於私鬥，鄉邑大治。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Records of the Grand Historian, by Sima Qian, circa 91 BCE
- Mín yǒng yú gōngzhàn, qiè yú sīdòu, xiāng yì dàzhì. [Pinyin]
- The people were brave in the state's military campaigns, and fearful in private disputes; the villages and the towns were both governed well.
民勇于公战，怯于私斗，乡邑大治。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- † courage; bravery
- † soldier
- (Hokkien) healthy
- (Hokkien) sturdy; durable
- A surname.
- “勇”, in 漢語多功能字庫 (Multi-function Chinese Character Database), 香港中文大學 (the Chinese University of Hong Kong), 2014–
- Go-on: ゆ (yu); ゆう (yū, Jōyō)
- Kan-on: よう (yō)
- Kun: いさましい (isamashii, 勇ましい); いさむ (isamu, 勇む, Jōyō)
- Nanori: いさむ (isamu); お (o); はや (haya)
- A male given name
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text
- dũng cảm [勇敢]