Ideogrammic compound (會意): 角 (“horn”) + 刀 (“knife”) + 牛 (“cow”) – a knife separates a horn from a cow, i.e. “cut up (an ox)”.
Three pronunciations are cognate. "To loosen; to disengage" > "idle, lazy, remiss". Cognate with 懈 (OC *kreːs, “lazy, remiss”) and possibly 邂逅 (*ɡreːs ɡroːs, “carefree and happy”).
? Area stem: *C-re. Compare Burmese ဖြေ (hpre, “to untie; to answer; to ease; to absolve”), အဖြေ (a.hpre, “answer, solution; response; explication”); Khmer រាយ (riəy, “to scatter, to be divided up, to separate”), ស្រាយ (sraay, “to untie, to undo, to explain, to solve”).
- to loosen; to unfasten; to untie
- Antonyms: 繫／系 (jì), 結／结 (jié)
- to explain
- to excrete
- to remove; to eliminate
- to divide; to break up; to split; to separate
- to dissolve
- to solve
- to understand
- solution (to a problem)
- 40th hexagram of the I Ching
- to introduce scholar to imperial palace
- to send under escort
― to take away under escort
- to mortgage
- to exchange (money)
- beast's name
- local authorities
- skill of acrobatics
- Ancient placename.
- Alternative form of 懈 (xiè, “to relax”).
- A surname.
解 • (hae, gae) (hangeul 해, 개, revised hae, gae, McCune–Reischauer hae, kae, Yale hay, kay)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text