自 (radical 132, 自+0, 6 strokes, cangjie input 竹月山 (HBU), four-corner 26000, composition ⿱丿目)
- Kangxi radical #132, ⾃.
- KangXi: page 1000, character 7
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 30095
- Dae Jaweon: page 1452, character 1
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 5, page 3046, character 1
- Unihan data for U+81EA
Originally a pictogram (象形) of a nose; in China (and East Asia) one points at one’s nose to indicate oneself, hence an ideogram (指事) of “self”.
The original meaning of “nose” has been replaced by 鼻.
- self, oneself; one's own
- 自顧自 / 自顾自 ― zìgùzì ― each minding his own business; each for himself
- certainly, of course
- since; from
- 自左而右 ― zì zuǒ ér yòu ― from left to right
自: Hán Nôm readings: tự, từ, tợ
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text