Phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *slaŋʔ): phonetic 相 (OC *slaŋ, *slaŋs) + semantic 心 (“heart, mind”) – to think, to consider.
From 相 (OC *slaŋ, *slaŋs, “to observe; appearance”) (“appearance > to visualise > to think”).
- to think (to conceive of something or someone)
― Wǒ xiǎng tā shì shuāilǎo le.
― I think she's going senile.
- to think about; to plan; to be considering
― Wǒ xiǎng zài shǔjiǎ dǎgōng.
― I'm planning
to get a job for the summer.
- to think; to suppose; to guess; to reckon
- to want; to wish for; to desire
― Hái xiǎng hē yī bēi ma?
― Would you like
― Wǒ hěn xiǎng shuì.
― I'm really sleepy (lit.
I really want
- to miss (to feel the absence of someone or something)