- KangXi: page 353, character 17
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 9596
- Dae Jaweon: page 669, character 1
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 515, character 1
- Unihan data for U+5F04
|Characters in the same phonetic series (弄) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
|simp. and trad.
Compared with Khmer លួង (luəng, “to console; to cheer; to coax; to flatter”) < Old Khmer lvaṅ (“to cheer, amuse, entertain, divert”) < Pre-Angkorian Khmer loṅ. The Khmer initial consonant does not agree with Old Chinese; perhaps the Khmer word is a post-Han loan (Schuessler, 2007).
- to play with; to play around with; to fiddle with; to fondle
- to enjoy; to play
- trick; magic
- to make fun of; to tease; to bully
- to show off; to make a show of
- (Min Nan) to amuse (a child)
- (music) to play (a musical instrument); to perform
- (music) ditty
- to do; to engage in; to undertake; to deal with
- to make ... do/become ...; to cause ... to do ...
- (colloquial) to cause someone to become pregnant
- (Min Nan) to shake off; to shake out
- to marry
- to investigate; to look into
- to get; to obtain; to fetch
- to decorate; to dress up; to put on make-up
|simp. and trad.
Possibly from an ancient regional variant of 巷 (, “alley”). *ɡroːŋs
- (Min Nan pronunciation audio) “Entry #3143”, in 臺灣閩南語常用詞辭典 [Dictionary of Frequently-Used Taiwan Minnan] (in Chinese and Min Nan), Ministry of Education, R.O.C., 2011.
- tamper with
- Go-on: る (ru)
- Kan-on: ろう (rō, Jōyō)
- Kun: もてあそぶ (moteasobu, 弄ぶ, Jōyō); たわむれる (tawamureru, 弄れる); いじる (ijiru, 弄る); いじくる (ijikuru, 弄る); いらう (irau, 弄う); いろう (irou, 弄う); まさぐる (masaguru, 弄る)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text