- 1 Translingual
- 2 Chinese
- 3 Japanese
- 4 Korean
- 5 Vietnamese
- 𠇕, 吧, 𪣀, 妑, 𡵟, 帊, 弝, 𢗌, 把, 𣲩, 肥, 杷, 𤆵, 爬, 㸭, 皅, 㿬, 𥑁, 粑, 紦, 羓, 耙, 舥, 蚆, 豝, 跁, 𨊹, 鈀(钯), 𠌊, 靶, 䰾(鲃), 䶕(𫜨)
- 𠛋, 𠄧, 𠀧, 𢻷, 𢁍, 𠠾, 邑, 夿, 岜, 爸, 芭, 笆, 𠉲, 琶, 䯩, 䯲, 𠂬, 巵, 㞎, 𢨴, 疤, 𡇃, 𡉷, 岊, 巼
- KangXi: page 327, character 1
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 8745
- Dae Jaweon: page 631, character 2
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 985, character 1
- Unihan data for U+5DF4
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 巴|
|Shang||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Oracle bone script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
|Characters in the same phonetic series (巴) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
|杷||*braː, *braːs, *braːs|
- "huge snake"
- Unknown. Schuessler (2007) compared 巴 () to:
- Lao [script needed] (ŋuuᴬ⁴ kǎbaaᴬ³, “a kind of viper”), with ງູ (ngū, “snake”) and [script needed] (kǎ, “possible animal prefix”); as well as to
- Proto-North-Bahnaric *qbǎyh (ibid.) "snake" (or *bəs; Sidwell, 2011).
- (ancient Chinese mythology) a huge snake that could swallow an elephant
- to greatly desire; to anxiously hope; to long for
- Used as a suffix for objects that are located below or behind.
- 尾巴 ― wěiba ― tail
- Used as a suffix for objects that are clumped together due to dryness or stickiness.
- 泥巴 ― níba ― mud
- to cling to; to stick to
- (Jilu Mandarin, Sichuan, dialectal Wu) to be close to; to be next to
- (Beijing, Jilu Mandarin) to open; to spread
- (Sichuan) to suit; to fit
- (Sichuan) to follow
- (Sichuan) to be intimate
- (Sichuan) to involve; to implicate
- (Sichuan) to kiss up; to curry favour
- (Sichuan) to subsidize
- (Sichuan) to infect; to contract
- (dialectal Mandarin, including Beijing, Shandong, Xinjiang) to sew; to stitch on
- (Southwestern Mandarin; Xiamen, Quanzhou Min Nan) dried object
- (dialectal Mandarin, Cantonese) Classifier for the number of slaps.
- (Jiaoliao Mandarin, Sichuan) along
- (historical) Ba (an ancient state in modern-day Sichuan)
- eastern Sichuan and Chongqing
- Short for 巴士 (bāshì, “bus”).
- (physics) bar (unit of pressure)
- Used in the transliteration of foreign words.
- A surname.
Derived terms from 巴
|For pronunciation and definitions of 巴 – see 芭 (“short=1; a kind of fragrant grass; etc.”).|
(This character, 巴, is the second-round simplified form of 芭.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 巴 – see 笆 (“bamboo fence”).|
(This character, 巴, is the second-round simplified form of 笆.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 巴 – see 粑 (“cake-like food; tsamba”).|
(This character, 巴, is the second-round simplified form of 粑.)
|Kanji in this term|
First attested around the 12th century.
- a circular design resembling swirling water, a comma, or an archer's bow
- (architecture) a piece of wood, usually a floorboard or an eave, with a tomoe pattern
- an oxcart with the wickerwork in a tomoe pattern
- a 家紋 (kamon, “family crest”) with various tomoe designs
- Short for : a tile with a tomoe design
- turning (Can we verify(+) this sense?)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text
- English: tomoe
- 渦巻き (uzumaki)
- Short for : 12th-century female samurai
- a 謡曲 (dōkyoku, “noh song”) based on a story from The Tale of the Heike
- a surname
|Kanji in this term|
- 국제퇴계학회 대구경북지부 (國際退溪學會 大邱慶北支部) (2007). Digital Hanja Dictionary, 전자사전／電子字典. 
- Hán tự form of Ba (“used in placenames”).
- Hán tự form of ba (“to adhere; to stick to”).
- Nôm form of bơ (“used in compounds”).