寶 (Kangxi radical 40, 宀+17, 20 strokes, cangjie input 十一山金 (JMUC), four-corner 30806, composition ⿱𡩧貝)
- 宝 (Japanese shinjitai and simplified Chinese)
- KangXi: page 293, character 12
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 7376
- Dae Jaweon: page 579, character 32
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 2, page 958, character 3
- Unihan data for U+5BF6
|Historical forms of the character 寶|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions|
Oracle bone script: Ideogrammic compound (會意): 宀 (“house”) + 𤣩 (“jade”) + 貝 (“cowry”) – treasures in a house.
The phonetic component 缶 (OC *puʔ) was added to the character in bronze inscriptions.
From Proto-Sino-Tibetan *pəw (“price”); cognate with Burmese အဖိုး (a.hpui:, “price”) (Schuessler, 2007; STEDT). Peiros and Starostin (1996) also compares it to Tibetan སྤུས (spus, “goods”). Sagart (1999) relates it to 富 (OC *pɯɡs, “rich”). Schuessler (2007) proposes that it could be the same word as 保 (OC *puːʔ, “to take care of; to consider something precious”).
- treasure; riches; valuables; precious thing
- 天地之大德曰生，聖人之大寶曰位。 [Pre-Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: I Ching, 11th – 8th century BCE
- Tiāndì zhī dàdé yuē shēng, shèngrén zhī dàbǎo yuē wèi. [Pinyin]
- The great attribute of heaven and earth is the giving and maintaining life. What is most precious for the sage is to get the [highest] place - [in which he can be the human representative of heaven and earth].
天地之大德曰生，圣人之大宝曰位。 [Pre-Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: Commentary of Zuo, c. 4th century BCE
- Sòng rén huò dé yù, xiàn zhū Zǐhǎn, Zǐhǎn fú shòu. Xiàn yù zhě yuē: “Yǐ shì yùrén, yùrén yǐwèi bǎo yě, gù gǎn xiàn zhī.”
Zǐhǎn yuē: “Wǒ yǐ bù tān wèi bǎo, ěr yǐ yù wèi bǎo, ruò yǐ yǔ wǒ, jiē sàng bǎo yě.” [Pinyin]
- Someone in Song had obtained a jade, which he presented to Zihan. Zihan would not accept it. The one presenting the jade said, "I have shown it to the jade workers, and they believe that it is a treasure. Therefore I presume to present it to you."
Zihan said, "I consider not being greedy as a treasure; you consider the jade a treasure. If you give it to me, both of us will lose our treasures."
子罕曰：「我以不貪為寶，爾以玉為寶，若以與我，皆喪寶也。」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
子罕曰：“我以不贪为宝，尔以玉为宝，若以与我，皆丧宝也。” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- to treasure; to cherish
- to collect (treasures)
- treasured; cherished
- precious; valuable
- (historical) jade token
- term of respect, for things related to the emperor, to Buddhism, to Taoism, or to other people
- (term of endearment) darling; baby; dear
- (gambling) a kind of gambling device
- a surname: Bao
- (Sichuanese) foolish; silly; stupid
(uncommon “Hyōgai” kanji, kyūjitai kanji, shinjitai form 宝)
寶: Hán Nôm readings: bảo, báu, bửu
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text