|beautiful; beauty; America||man; person; people|
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): mei5 jan4
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): mî-ngìn
- Min Nan (POJ): bí-lîn / bí-jîn
- Wu (Wiktionary): 'me nyin (T2)
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou, Taipei, Xiamen)
- (Hokkien: Kaohsiung, Zhangzhou)
|Kanji in this term|
The kan'on reading, so likely a later borrowing.
- On'yomi: Kan'on
- (Tokyo) じん[bíꜜjìǹ] (Atamadaka - )
- (Tokyo) び [bìjíń] (Heiban - )
- IPA(key): [biʑĩɴ̞]
- a beautiful woman, a beauty, a belle
- Mona Riza to ieba yahari bijin desu ne.
- That Mona Lisa, she really is a beauty, isn't she.
- a handsome man
- (rare) an ideal ruler or sage, worthy of one's love and respect
- (historical) in ancient China, the fifth of fourteen ranks for imperial ladies-in-waiting
- (figuratively) a euphemism for a rainbow
The beautiful woman sense is the most common in everyday use.
- 美人コンテスト (bijin kontesuto): a beauty pageant, a beauty contest
- 美人画 (bijinga): a genre of pictures, depicting feminine beauty; a picture of this genre
- 美人傘 (bijingasa): a large and deep umbrella that was fashionable in the late Meiji period
- 美人蕉 (bijinshō): the Chinese-derived alternate for 姫芭蕉 (hime bashō, literally “princess plantain”), a variety of plantain of family Musaceae
- 美人草 (bijinsō): alternate name for 雛罌粟 (hina-geshi, literally “chick poppy”): Papaver rhoeas, a field poppy or corn poppy
- 美人というも皮一重 (bijin to iu mo kawa hitoe): “even a beautiful person only has one skin” → beauty is only skin deep
- 美人に年なし (bijin ni toshi nashi): “a beautiful person doesn't have an age” → a beautiful person often looks young no matter their age
- 美人の終わりは猿になる (bijin no owari wa saru ni naru): “the end of [being] a beautiful person is turning into a monkey” → a beautiful woman becomes less beautiful as she ages
- 美人は言わねど隠れなし (bijin wa iwanedo kakure nashi): “even if you don't say that someone is beautiful, there's no hiding it” → if someone is beautiful, it's obvious
- 美人薄命 (bijin hakumei): “a beautiful person has a thin [i.e. short] life” → beauty often doesn't last
|Kanji in this term|
|ひと > びと
|Hanja in this term|