と (Hepburn romanization to)
- The hiragana syllable と (to), whose equivalent in katakana is ト (to). It is the twentieth syllable of the gojūon order, and its position in gojūon tables is た行お段 (TA-gyō, O-dan; “row TA, section O”).
- For a list of words starting with と (to) see: Special:Allpages/と
- (Hiragana) 平仮名; あぁ, いぃ, うぅゔ, えぇ, おぉ, かゕが, きぎ, くぐ, けゖげ, こご, さざ, しじ, すず, せぜ, そぞ, ただ, ちぢ, つっづ, てで, とど, な, に, ぬ, ね, の, はばぱ, ひびぴ, ふぶぷ, へべぺ, ほぼぽ, ま, み, む, め, も, やゃ, ゆゅ, よょ, ら, り, る, れ, ろ, わゎ, ゐ, ゑ, を, ん, ー, ゝ, ゞ, ゟ
と (romaji to)
- (when between nouns) and
- used as a quotation
- if (when appended to a dictionary-form verb and followed by a present-tense sentence)
- when (when appended to a dictionary form verb and followed by a past-tense sentence)
- と (to) in the sense of "and" can only be used to conjoin nouns; not verbs or sentences. They are joined by conjugation.
- と (to) in the sense of "and" implies that the list is complete. In the above sentence, the subject only speaks English and French. To imply other items, the particles とか (toka) or や (ya) are used in lieu of と (to). The particle など (nado, “etc., and so on”) can be appended to a list of nouns conjoined by と to imply that there are other items on the list.
- と (to) in the sense of "if" can be interchangeable with the conditional particles ば (ba) and たら (tara)/なら (nara) if the conditionals describe a hypothetical effect of an action.
- When と (to) is used in the meaning "when" it implies that something happened abruptly. See とき (toki).
- KUTEN code: 04-40
- Shift JIS: 82 C6