わ (romaji wa)
- The hiragana syllable わ (wa). Its equivalent in katakana is ワ (wa). It is the forty-fourth syllable in the gojūon order; its position is わ行あ段 (wa-gyō a-dan, “row wa, section a”).
- (Hiragana) 平仮名; あぁ, いぃ, うぅゔ, えぇ, おぉ, かゕが, きぎ, くぐ, けゖげ, こご, さざ, しじ, すず, せぜ, そぞ, ただ, ちぢ, つっづ, てで, とど, な, に, ぬ, ね, の, はばぱ, ひびぴ, ふぶぷ, へべぺ, ほぼぽ, ま, み, む, め, も, やゃ, ゆゅ, よょ, ら, り, る, れ, ろ, わゎ, ゐ, ゑ, を, ん, ー, ゝ, ゞ, ゟ
From Old Japanese.
- (women's speech, dated) a particle used in the end of sentences to indicate admiration or emotion
- Anata no kami wa nagai wa ne!
- Wow, your hair is so long!
- Ima, iku wa.
- I'm coming.
- Shiranai wa.
- I don't know.
- (dialectal or men's speech) a particle used in the end of sentences to indicate emphasis
- Nani itten no ka wakannē wa.
- I've no idea what he's saying.
- (Sense 1) In standard Japanese, this particle is mainly used by women, although its usage is almost extinct among younger generations.
- (Sense 2) In various dialects, particularly western, it is used by both men and women, but with a different pitch accent.
Reading for various kanji.
- 回, 曲: a sharp bend in a valley, inlet, coast, or river
- 輪, 環: a ring
- 和, 倭: Japan, Japanese
- 和: harmony; a sum
|For pronunciation and definitions of わ – see the following entry.|
|(This term, わ, is an alternative spelling of the above term.|
For a list of all kanji read as わ, not just those used in Japanese terms, see Category:Japanese kanji read as わ.)