Pictogram (象形) – hand and fingers. The top stroke is the bent over middle finger, while the horizontal strokes are each two fingers. Compare 爪, 寸, 九.
Note that unlike the other hand/claw characters, 手 has consistently had five fingers: a mammalian/human hand, as opposed to the three digits often found in the others.
Compare also 止 (“foot”), derived from a footprint, originally composed of 3 toes and a sole.
Note: chhiú - vernacular, siú - literary.
- hand (Classifier: 隻／只 m c; 雙／双 m c)
- expert; master
- 高手 ― gāoshǒu ― master
- -ist; -er
- 歌手 ― gēshǒu ― singer
- convenient; handy
- 手機 / 手机 ― shǒujī ― mobile phone
- 手冊 / 手册 ― shǒucè ― handbook
- Classifier for transactions.
- 手掌 (shǒuzhǎng, “palm”)
- 手指 (shǒuzhǐ, “finger”)
- 手腕 (shǒuwàn, “wrist”)
- 胳膊 (gēbo, “arm”)
手 • (su)
- Sound (hangeul): 수 (McCune-Reischauer: su, Yale: swu)
- Name (hangeul): 손