Pictogram (象形) (Shuowen), indicating a ladle-shaped dou (see below) held by hand.
Pronunciations 1 (“dipper, ladle”) and 2 (“water ladle”) are cognate. Variant character: 枓 (dǒu, “ladle”). They probably belong to the same word family as 注 (OC *tjos, “to pour”), as a derived noun. Within Sino-Tibetan, compare Tibetan ཆུ (chu, “water”), འཆུ ('chu, “to scoop up, to ladle water”).
- táu - vernacular;
- tió/tó͘ - literary.
- A dipper or cup-like object, used in ancient China as a wine vessel.
- 斗量 ― dǒuliàng ― to measure with dou; numerous
- 斗筲 ― dǒushāo ― dou and xiao; humble; insignificant
- Any dou-shaped object; dipper, ladle.
- 漏斗 ― lòudǒu ― funnel
- 熨斗 ― yùndǒu ― flatiron
- 煙斗 / 烟斗 ― yāndǒu ― tobacco pipe
- 風斗 / 风斗 ― fēngdǒu ― wind scoop
- 水斗 ― shuǐdǒu ― water ladle
- 墨斗 ― mòdǒu ― carpenter's ink marker
- 抽斗 ― chōudǒu ― drawer
- 斗笠 ― dǒulì ― wide-brimmed rain hat
- 斗篷 ― dǒupéng ― cape, cloak
- Round or spiral shaped; fingerprint (a dactylogram)
- A unit of dry measure (for grains, especially rice) roughly equal to 1 decaliter.
- A unit of measure based on dou.
- 升斗 ― shēngdǒu ― sheng and dou; a small amount
- (figuratively) small, short, narrow (as with a dipper)
- (figuratively) big, high, to be full of (as with a dipper)
- 斗膽 / 斗胆 ― dǒudǎn ― venture; boldly
- Stars in general.
- (北斗) The Big Dipper, an asterism of seven stars.
- 星移斗轉 / 星移斗转 ― xīngyídǒuzhuǎn ― passage of time
- 泰斗 ― tàidǒu ― the leading authority
- (斗宿) The Dipper (Chinese constellation), one of the twenty-eight mansions of the Chinese constellations.
- (南斗) A subconstellation of the above mansion, consisting of six stars.
- (小北斗) The Little Dipper, a constellation of six stars.
- A Chinese constellation (星官) consisting of five stars.
- Short for 刁斗 (“cauldron, cymbal”).
- Short for 科斗 (“tadpole”).
- (斗姆) Doumu, a goddess in Taoism.
- Alternative form of 枓 (“the system of wood brackets on the top of a column supporting the crossbeam”).
- 斗拱 ― dǒugǒng ― corbel bracket
- Alternative form of 陡 (dǒu, “steep, cliffy”).
- Alternative form of 陡 (dǒu, “suddenly, in a sudden”).
- Alternative form of 抖 (dǒu, “to tremble, to shake off”).
- A unit of measure for liquids.
- Alternative form of 枓 (“ladle or spoon used for scooping water”).
- Alternative form of 主 (zhǔ, “master, God”).
|For pronunciation and definitions of 斗 – see 鬥 (“to fight”).
(This character, 斗, is the simplified form of 鬥.)