斗 (Kangxi radical 68, 斗+0, 4 strokes, cangjie input 卜十 (YJ), four-corner 34000, composition ⿻⿻㇀丨⺀)
- Kangxi radical #68, ⽃.
- Appendix:Chinese radical/斗
- 𬽫, 呌, 㘰, 𡯏, 㞳, 𢗸, 㳆, 𭷾, 阧, 䢏, 𪰍, 枓, 𭮃, 𣬯, 炓, 𤓺, 㸯, 㺶, 𦙒, 𤯘, 䀞, 𥐿, 科, 𧘞, 𭑎, 紏, 蚪, 𧠕, 䚵(𬣟), 𧴼, 﨣, 𧿫, 酙, 𬻢, 𠒚, 鈄(钭), 𫖗, 𬖠, 𩫄, 𩰮, 魁, 𩵬, 𩿚, 𪌉, 𣙞, 𪖘, 𮯁
- 𩑯, 𬷄, 乧, 𣃜, 𥁇, 㖍, 𡗴, 𡰷, 戽, 𦮜, 𫁵, 𮪿, 𪚛, 閗(𫔯), 鬦
- KangXi: page 477, character 24
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 13489
- Dae Jaweon: page 835, character 27
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 3, page 2252, character 1
- Unihan data for U+6597
|Historical forms of the character 斗|
|Shang||Spring and Autumn||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Bronze inscriptions||Chu slip and silk script||Qin slip script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
Characters in the same phonetic series (斗) (Zhengzhang, 2003)
Pictogram (象形) (Shuowen), indicating a ladle-shaped dou (see below) held by hand.
|simp. and trad.
Pronunciations 1 (“dipper, ladle”) and 2 (“water ladle”) are cognate. Variant character: 枓 (zhǔ, “ladle”). They probably belong to the same word family as 注 (OC *tjos, “to pour”), as a derived noun. Within Sino-Tibetan, compare Tibetan ཆུ (chu, “water”), འཆུ ('chu, “to scoop up, to ladle water”).
- (historical) A dipper or cup-like object, used in ancient China as a wine vessel.
- Any dou-shaped object; dipper, ladle.
- Round or spiral shaped; fingerprint (a dactylogram)
- A unit of dry measure (for grains, especially rice) roughly equal to 1 decaliter.
- A unit of measure based on dou.
- 升斗 ― shēngdǒu ― sheng and dou; a small amount
- (figurative) small, short, narrow (as with a dipper)
- 斗室 ― dǒushì ― small room
- (figurative) big, high, to be full of (as with a dipper)
- Stars in general.
- 星斗 ― xīngdǒu ― stars
- (北斗) The Big Dipper, an asterism of seven stars.
- (斗宿) The Dipper (Chinese constellation), one of the twenty-eight mansions of the Chinese constellations.
- (南斗) A subconstellation of the above mansion, consisting of six stars.
- (小北斗) The Little Dipper, a constellation of six stars.
- A Chinese constellation (星官) consisting of five stars.
- Short for 刁斗 (“cauldron, cymbal”).
- Short for 科斗 (“tadpole”).
- (斗姆) Doumu, a goddess in Taoism.
- Alternative form of 枓 (“the system of wood brackets on the top of a column supporting the crossbeam”).
- 斗拱 ― dǒugǒng ― corbel bracket
- Alternative form of 陡 (dǒu, “steep, cliffy”).
- Alternative form of 陡 (dǒu, “suddenly, in a sudden”).
- Alternative form of 抖 (dǒu, “to tremble, to shake off”).
Derived terms from 斗
(Unit of dry measure)
- → Tocharian B: tau
- A unit of measure for liquids.
- Alternative form of 枓 (“ladle or spoon used for scooping water”).
- Alternative form of 主 (zhǔ, “master, God”).
|For pronunciation and definitions of 斗 – see 鬥 (“to fight; to struggle; to make animals fight; etc.”).|
(This character, 斗, is the simplified form of 鬥.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 斗 – see 陡 (“steep; sloping; abruptly; suddenly; etc.”).|
(This character, 斗, is the second-round simplified form of 陡.)
|simp. and trad.
(This etymology is missing or incomplete. Please add to it, or discuss it at the Etymology scriptorium.)
- (Hokkien) time; an instance or occurrence
- a unit of liquid measure
- Go-on: つ (tsu)
- Kan-on: とう (tō)
- Kan’yō-on: と (to, Jōyō)
- Kun: ます (masu, 斗); ひしゃく (hishaku, 斗); とます (tomasu, 斗)
- 北斗 (hokuto): the Big Dipper; the North Star
- an obsolete unit of liquid measure equal to about 18 liters (18,000 cm³)
- Hanja form? of 두 (“measure of about 18 liters; such measuring vessel”).
- Hanja form? of 두 (“cauldron; cymbal”).
- Hanja form? of 두 (“dipper, ladle”).
- Hanja form? of 두 (“asterism around Polaris such as Big Dipper and Little Dipper”).
- (cauldron): 刁
Reconstructed *twu- after both the Middle Korean reflex and the Sino-Korean reading.
- 황선엽 (Hwang Seon-yeop), 이전경 (Yi Jeon-gyeong), 하귀녀 (Ha Gwi-nyeo), 이용 (Yi Yong), 박진호 (Park Jin-ho), 김성주 (Kim Seong-ju), 장경준 (Jang Gyeong-jun), 서민욱 (Seo Min-uk), 이지영 (Yi Ji-yeong), 서형국 (Seo Hyeong-guk). (2009) 석독구결사전/釋讀口訣辭典 [Dictionary of interpretive gugyeol], Bakmunsa, →ISBN, pages 76—84
斗: Hán Nôm readings: đẩu, đấu, điếu, tẩu
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text