- KangXi: page 477, character 24
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 13489
- Dae Jaweon: page 835, character 27
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 3, page 2252, character 1
- Unihan data for U+6597
|Historical forms of the character 斗
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Bamboo and silk script||Large seal script||Small seal script|
|Characters in the same phonetic series (斗) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
|simp. and trad.
Pronunciations 1 (“dipper, ladle”) and 2 (“water ladle”) are cognate. Variant character: 枓 (dǒu, “ladle”). They probably belong to the same word family as 注 (, “to pour”), as a derived noun. Within Sino-Tibetan, compare *tjosTibetan ཆུ (chu, “water”), འཆུ ('chu, “to scoop up, to ladle water”).
- Cantonese (Jyutping): dau2
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): téu
- Min Dong (BUC): dāu
- Min Nan (POJ): táu / tó͘
- Wu (Wiktionary): teu (T2)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- A dipper or cup-like object, used in ancient China as a wine vessel.
- Any dou-shaped object; dipper, ladle.
- Round or spiral shaped; fingerprint (a dactylogram)
- A unit of dry measure (for grains, especially rice) roughly equal to 1 decaliter.
- A unit of measure based on dou.
- 升斗 ― shēngdǒu ― sheng and dou; a small amount
- (figuratively) small, short, narrow (as with a dipper)
- 斗室 ― dǒushì ― small room
- (figuratively) big, high, to be full of (as with a dipper)
- Stars in general.
- 星斗 ― xīngdǒu ― stars
- (北斗) The Big Dipper, an asterism of seven stars.
- (斗宿) The Dipper (Chinese constellation), one of the twenty-eight mansions of the Chinese constellations.
- (南斗) A subconstellation of the above mansion, consisting of six stars.
- (小北斗) The Little Dipper, a constellation of six stars.
- A Chinese constellation (星官) consisting of five stars.
- Short for 刁斗 (“cauldron, cymbal”).
- Short for 科斗 (“tadpole”).
- (斗姆) Doumu, a goddess in Taoism.
- Alternative form of 枓 (“the system of wood brackets on the top of a column supporting the crossbeam”).
- 斗拱 ― dǒugǒng ― corbel bracket
- Alternative form of 陡 (dǒu, “steep, cliffy”).
- Alternative form of 陡 (dǒu, “suddenly, in a sudden”).
- Alternative form of 抖 (dǒu, “to tremble, to shake off”).
- A unit of measure for liquids.
- Alternative form of 枓 (“ladle or spoon used for scooping water”).
- Alternative form of 主 (zhǔ, “master, God”).
|For pronunciation and definitions of 斗 – see 鬥 (“to fight”).
(This character, 斗, is the simplified form of 鬥.)
- a unit of liquid measure
- an obsolete unit of liquid measure equal to 18 liters or 18000 cc.
- (말 두): measure of about 18 liters; such measuring vessel
- (조두 두): cauldron; cymbal
- (구기 두): dipper, ladle
- (별이름 두): asterism around Polaris such as Big Dipper and Little Dipper
- (cauldron): 刁