- Prefixed to a noun to say that someone shares the same condition as oneself as represented by the noun.
- fellow-worker; fellow-sufferer; fellow-teacher; fellow-chairwoman; fellow-Scotsman
- His call for action was supported by the majority of his fellow-students at the meeting.
- 1922, Ben Travers, chapter 5, in A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- The most rapid and most seductive transition in all human nature is that which attends the palliation of a ravenous appetite. […] Can those harmless but refined fellow-diners be the selfish cads whose gluttony and personal appearance so raised your contemptuous wrath on your arrival?