See also: 适
- KangXi: page 1263, character 34
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 39076
- Dae Jaweon: page 1759, character 9
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 6, page 3877, character 8
- Unihan data for U+9069
|Characters in the same phonetic series (帝) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
|適||*tjeɡ, *hljeɡ, *teːɡ|
- Cantonese (Jyutping): sik1
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): sṳt / tit
- Min Dong (BUC): sék
- Min Nan (POJ): siak / sek
- Wu (Wiktionary): seq (T4)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- to go; to proceed (to a place)
大夫七十而致事。若不得謝，則必賜之几杖，行役以婦人。適四方，乘安車。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
大夫七十而致事。若不得谢，则必赐之几杖，行役以妇人。适四方，乘安车。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: The Book of Rites, circa 4th – 2nd century BCE
- Dàfū qīshí ér zhìshì. Ruò bùdé xiè, zé bì cì zhī jīzhàng, xíngyì yǐ fùrén. Shì sìfāng, chéng ānjū. [Pinyin]
- A great officer, when he is seventy, should resign (his charge of) affairs.
If he be not allowed to resign, there must be given him a stool and staff.
When travelling on service, he must have the attendance of his wife.
When going to any other state, he will ride in an easy carriage.
三人行而一人惑，所適者猶可致也，惑者少也；二人惑則勞而不至，惑者勝也。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
三人行而一人惑，所适者犹可致也，惑者少也；二人惑则劳而不至，惑者胜也。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: Zhuangzi, circa 3rd – 2nd centuries BCE
- Sān rén xíng ér yī rén huò, suǒ shì zhě yóu kě zhì yě, huò zhě shǎo yě; èr rén huò zé láo ér bù zhì, huò zhě shèng yě. [Pinyin]
- If three men be walking together, and (only) one of them be under a delusion (as to their way), they may yet reach their goal [i.e. place they are going to], the deluded being the fewer; but if two of them be under the delusion, they will not do so, the deluded being the majority.
- to incline towards; (of the popular feeling) to tend towards; to turn towards
- towards; to
- (of a girl) to get married; to marry
- to follow; to submit to; to comply with
- to fit; to suit; to accord with
- fitting; proper; suitable; appropriate
- good; fine; adequate
- happy; joyful; contented
- at ease; comfortable; cosy
- to get; to obtain
- to control; to restrict; to moderate
- to regulate; to adjust; to measure
- to meet; to encounter
- (historical) collar of the mourning gown
- by chance; as luck would have it
- occasionally; from time to time
- just (now); only
- if; assuming
- A surname.
Derived terms from 適
- to devote; to dedicate (to one thing)
子曰：「君子之於天下也，無適也，無莫也，義之與比。」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
子曰：“君子之于天下也，无适也，无莫也，义之与比。” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: The Analects of Confucius, circa 475 – 221 BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Zǐ yuē: “Jūnzǐ zhī yú tiānxià yě, wú dí yě, wú mò yě, yì zhī yǔ bǐ.” [Pinyin]
- The Master said, “The superior man, in the world, does not set his mind either for anything, or against anything; what is right he will follow.”
- Alternative form of 嫡 (dí, “legal wife; legal wife's son”).
- Alternative form of 敵／敌 (dí, “enemy”).
- suitable, appropiate, fit
- On (unclassified): てき (teki, Jōyō); せき (seki)
- Kun: ゆく (yuku, 適く); かなう (kanau, 適う); たまたま (tamatama, 適); まさに (masani)
- 適切 (tekisetsu): appropiate, suitable, proper
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text