- (tally marks, 5): The successive strokes of 正 ( ) are used in China, Japan, and Korea to designate tallies in votes, scores, points, sushi orders, and the like, much as is used in Europe, Africa, Australia, and North America. Tallies beyond five are written with a 正 for each group of five, followed by the remainder. For example, a tally of twelve is written as 正正丅.
- KangXi: page 574, character 2
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 16255
- Dae Jaweon: page 962, character 2
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 1436, character 1
- Unihan data for U+6B63
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 正|
|Shang||Western Zhou||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
|Characters in the same phonetic series (正) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
|錠||*teːŋs, *deːŋʔ, *deːŋs|
Sino-Tibetan or area word: “centre; target; first (month); straight; correct”.
Compare Mizo dîng (“to go straight or direct (as person, arrow etc.); to go straight through without breaking the journey; straight; direct”). Matisoff sets up Proto-Sino-Tibetan *m-tjak/ŋ ~ tik/ŋ (“good; very; real; straight”) for this, which includes 正, 直 (, “straight; right”) and *dɯɡ實 (, “solid; true”). *ɦliɡ
Additionally, Matisoff has Proto-Sino-Tibetan *t(r)waŋ (“straight; straighten”), whence Chepang dʰeŋ- (“straight”), Jingpho ding (“straight”), Tibetan དྲང་པོ (drang po, “straight; correct; upright; just; fair”), Burmese တန်း (tan:, “straight; to head straight for”). Also compare Khmer ទៀង (tiəng, “accurate; correct; exact; precise; honest”).
- 征 (, “to go straight > to go on a journey”) *tjeŋ
- 政 (, “correct; to govern; government; to determine”) *tjeŋs
- 整 (, “orderly; to arrange; to dispose”) *tjeŋʔ
- straight; upright; central; in proper position
- Antonyms: 歪 (wāi)
- right; proper; correct
- exact; standardized; just so
- regular-shaped; regular; square
- primary; chief; main
- pure; unmixed; authentic; true
- pretty; attractive; beautiful
- honest; upright; honourable
- (Cantonese) awesome; fantastic
- just now; right now; in the process of
- to straighten; to make straight; to adjust
- to make right; to rectify; to correct
- (tally marks) 5
- (numismatics) obverse
- (numeral) ten duodecillion(1040)
- (mathematics) positive; plus
- (physics) positive
- (time) sharp
- (Teochew) only; merely
- (Teochew) just; just now
- (Teochew) only then; only after
- (Teochew) Used to emphasize that something is/is not.
- (Teochew) right (direction)
- A surname.
|萬／万||億／亿||兆 (Taiwan)||京 (Taiwan)||垓||秭||穰||溝／沟||澗／涧||正||載／载|
- first (month of the lunar year)
- † bull's eye; centre of target
- † target; goal
- † Original form of 征 (zhēng, “to levy”).
- † Original form of 征 (zhēng, “to go on a punitive expedition”).
- Lao: ຈຽງ (chīang, “first month of the lunar year”)
- Lü: ᦵᦈᧂ (ṫseng, “first month in Dai lunar calendar, starting in November”)
- Northern Thai: ᨠ᩠ᨿᨦ (“first month of the lunar year”)
- Shan: ၸဵင် (tsěng, “first month of the Shan year, starting December-January”)
- Ahom: 𑜋𑜢𑜂𑜫 (ching, “first month of the lunar year”)
- Go-on: しょう (shō, Jōyō)←しやう (syau, historical)
- Kan-on: せい (sei, Jōyō)
- Kun: ただしい (tadashii, 正しい, Jōyō); ただす (tadasu, 正す, Jōyō); まさ (masa, 正, Jōyō); まさに (masani, 正に)
- A number of ten-duodecillion(1040) in modern Japanese since 17th century.
- 5. Similar to four vertical lines followed by a slanted horizontal line crossing through them, this character is used to count to 5 stroke by stroke. Thus this kanji written up to the third stroke represents 3. After the fifth and final stroke, when this character is completed, one starts writing this character again to count to higher numbers.
- A male given name
- 정확 (正確, jeonghwak)
- 정직 (正直, jeongjik)
- 엄정 (嚴正, eomjeong)
- 부정 (不正, bujeong)
- 정상 (正常, jeongsang)
- 공정 (公正, gongjeong)
- 시정 (是正, sijeong)
- 수정 (修正, sujeong)
- 개정 (改正, gaejeong)
- 정당 (正當, jeongdang)
- 정월 (正月, jeong-wol)
- 정의 (正義, jeong-ui)
- 적정 (適正, jeokjeong)
- 정도 (正道, jeongdo)
- 정면 (正面, jeongmyeon)
- 정답 (正答, jeongdap)
- 정체 (正體, jeongche)
- 정식 (正式, jeongsik)
- 정통 (正統, jeongtong)
- 진정 (眞正, jinjeong)
- 정품 (正品, jeongpum)
- 단정 (端正, danjeong)
- 정규 (正規, jeonggyu)
- 정장 (正裝, jeongjang)
- 정오 (正誤, jeong-o)
- 보정 (補正, bojeong)
- 교정 (校正, gyojeong)
- 정색 (正色, jeongsaek)
- 정원 (正員, jeong-won)
- 정안 (正眼, jeong-an)
- Hán tự form of chính (“main; major, chief; just, righteous”).
- Hán tự form of chánh (“chief; head”).
- Nôm form of chếnh.