- KangXi: page 164, character 10
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 3070
- Dae Jaweon: page 372, character 7
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 384, character 8
- Unihan data for U+53BB
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 去|
|Shang||Spring and Autumn||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Bronze inscriptions||Chu Slip and silk script||Qin slip script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
|Characters in the same phonetic series (去) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
|呿||*kʰal, *kʰas, *kʰab|
|抾||*kʰɯ, *kʰɯ, *kʰab|
|胠||*kʰa, *kʰas, *kʰab|
Ideogrammic compound (會意): 大 (“man”) + 口 (“mouth, object”). Top figure simplified to 土, unrelated to 士 (“scholar, gentleman”), while bottom simplified to 厶. There are various interpretations of the combination of “man” and “mouth, object”. One is that the ideograph represented a man with a hole marked in his crotch, and the inventors of writing had perhaps “anus” (i.e. getting rid of) in mind (Schuessler, 2007). Another is that it represented a man departing from a cave or city.
Alternatively, it may be the original character of 呿 (, “to open one's mouth”), the meaning given by the combination of *kʰal, *kʰas, *kʰab大 (“big”) and 口 (“mouth”). The meaning “to depart” would be an extension of the meaning “to open one's mouth”, as the lips depart from each other when one's mouth is open.
There were two pronunciations in Middle Chinese. The rising tone pronunciation originally meant “to put away, to eliminate” (causative of “to go away”), and the falling tone “to go away, to leave, to depart” (anticausative). The merger of the two pronunciations already happened in Old Chinese and most extant dialects do not observe this distinction now.
This word is of Sino-Tibetan origin with the basic meaning of "to get rid of". Compare Tibetan སྐྱག (skyag, “to spend, to lay out; dung, excrement”), རྐྱག (rkyag, “dirt, excrement”), Burmese ကျ (kya., “to fall, to become low”), ချ (hkya., “to put down, to bring down, to lower”).
- to leave; to depart from
- 去世 ― qùshì ― to pass away
- to go to; to leave for
- (before or after a verb) to go in order to do something
- (between two verbs) to; in order to
- Particle used after a verb of motion to indicates movement away from the speaker.
- 送去 ― sòng qù ― to send away
- to send; to dispatch
- to play (a part, a character); to act
- to remove, to be removed
- last; past
- 去年 ― qùnián ― last year
- 66th tetragram of the Taixuanjing
- Short for 去聲／去声 (qùshēng).
- (neologism) what the hell; what; damn; fuck
- 我去 ― wǒqù ― what the hell
|For pronunciation and definitions of 去 – see 弆 (“to hoard, to hide away”).|
(This character, 去, is a variant form of 弆.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 去 – see 驅 (“to run quickly; to expel; to disperse; etc.”).|
(This character, 去, is a variant form of 驅.)
- to leave, to go away
- 落ちる (ochiru)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text