去 (Kangxi radical 28, 厶+3, 5 strokes, cangjie input 土戈 (GI), four-corner 40731, composition ⿱土厶)
- KangXi: page 164, character 10
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 3070
- Dae Jaweon: page 372, character 7
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 1, page 384, character 8
- Unihan data for U+53BB
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 去|
|Shang||Spring and Autumn||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Bronze inscriptions||Chu slip and silk script||Qin slip script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
Ideogrammic compound (會意): 大 (“man”) + 口 (“mouth, object”). Top figure simplified to 土, unrelated to 士 (“scholar, gentleman”), while bottom simplified to 厶. There are various interpretations of the combination of “man” and “mouth, object”. One is that the ideograph represented a man with a hole marked in his crotch, with the idea of “anus” (i.e. getting rid of) (Schuessler, 2007). Another is that it represented a man departing from a cave or city.
Alternatively, it may be the original character of 呿 (OC *kʰal, *kʰas, *kʰab, “to open one's mouth”), the meaning given by the combination of 大 (“big”) and 口 (“mouth”). The meaning “to depart” would be an extension of the meaning “to open one's mouth”, as the lips depart from each other when one's mouth is open.
Shuowen Jiezi interprets the character as a phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *kʰaʔ, *kʰas): semantic 大 (“man”) + phonetic 𠙴 ().
In addition, 去 is also the original character of 盍 (OC *ɡaːb, “to cover”). The 大 could be a cover on top of an object 口.
There were two pronunciations in Middle Chinese. The rising tone pronunciation originally meant “to put away, to eliminate” (causative of “to go away”), and the falling tone “to go away, to leave, to depart” (anticausative). The merger of the two pronunciations already happened in Old Chinese and most extant dialects do not observe this distinction now.
This word is of Sino-Tibetan origin with the basic meaning of "to get rid of". Compare Tibetan སྐྱག (skyag, “to spend, to lay out; dung, excrement”), རྐྱག (rkyag, “dirt, excrement”), Burmese ကျ (kya., “to fall, to become low”), ချ (hkya., “to put down, to bring down, to lower”).
- to leave; to depart from
- 去世 ― qùshì ― to pass away
- 鳥乃去矣，后稷呱矣。 [Pre-Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Classic of Poetry, c. 11th – 7th centuries BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Niǎo nǎi qù yǐ, Hòujì guā yǐ. [Pinyin]
- When the bird went away, Hou-ji began to wail.
鸟乃去矣，后稷呱矣。 [Pre-Classical Chinese, simp.]
- to go to; to leave for
- (before or after a verb) to go in order to do something
- (between two verbs) to; in order to
- Used after a verb of motion to indicate movement away from the speaker.
- to send; to dispatch
- to play (a part, a character); to act
- (euphemistic) to pass away; to die
- last; past
- 去年 ― qùnián ― last year
- 66th tetragram of the Taixuanjing; "departure" (𝍇)
- Short for 去聲／去声 (qùshēng).
- (literary) to be separated by; to be apart by
- (neologism) what the hell; what; damn; fuck
- 我去 ― wǒqù ― what the hell
- to remove; to get rid of
- 去掉 ― qùdiào ― to remove
- 脫去／脱去 ― tuōqù ― to throw off
- 拆去 ― chāiqù ― to remove, to take off
- 去蝦腸／去虾肠 ― qù xiācháng ― to remove the intestines from shrimp
- 去頭白蝦／去头白虾 ― qùtóu báixiā ― headless white shrimp
- 去中心化 ― qùzhōngxīnhuà ― decentralization
- 不窋末年，夏后氏政衰，去稷不務，不窋以失其官而犇戎狄之間。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Records of the Grand Historian, by Sima Qian, c. 91 BCE
- Bùzhú mònián, Xiàhòushì zhèng shuāi, qù jì bù wù, Bùzhú yǐ shī qí guān ér bēn róngdí zhī jiān. [Pinyin]
- In Buzhu's later years, the Xia dynasty's government declined; so he forsook millet (agriculture) and did not serve. Buzhu, therefore, lost his offce and fled to the Rong's and Di's midst.
不窋末年，夏后氏政衰，去稷不务，不窋以失其官而犇戎狄之间。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- to discard
|For pronunciation and definitions of 去 – see 弆 (“to hoard, to hide away”).|
(This character, 去, is a variant form of 弆.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 去 – see 驅 (“to run quickly; to expel; to disperse; etc.”).|
(This character, 去, is a variant form of 驅.)
|The tones (of Chinese) in Chinese · 聲調／声调 (shēngdiào) (layout · text)|
|標調方法／标调方法 (biāodiào fāngfǎ)
|∅||-X||-H||-p -t -k (-ʔ)|
|四聲八調／四声八调||陰平／阴平 (yīnpíng)||陽平／阳平 (yángpíng)||陰上／阴上 (yīnshǎng)||陽上／阳上 (yángshǎng)||陰去／阴去 (yīnqù)||陽去／阳去 (yángqù)||陰入／阴入 (yīnrù)||陽入／阳入 (yángrù)|
|陰／阴 (yīn)||陽／阳 (yáng)|
|標調方法／标调方法 (biāodiào fāngfǎ)
|The tones (of Standard Mandarin) in Chinese · 聲調／声调 (shēngdiào) (layout · text)|
|四聲／四声 (sìshēng)||陰平／阴平 (yīnpíng)
- “去”, in 漢語多功能字庫 (Multi-function Chinese Character Database), 香港中文大學 (the Chinese University of Hong Kong), 2014–
- “Entry #1405”, in 臺灣閩南語常用詞辭典 [Dictionary of Frequently-Used Taiwan Minnan] (in Chinese and Min Nan), Ministry of Education, R.O.C., 2011.
- to leave, to go away
- Go-on: こ (ko, Jōyō)
- Kan-on: きょ (kyo, Jōyō)
- Kun: さる (saru, 去る, Jōyō); いぬ (inu, 去ぬ); のぞく (nozoku, 去く); ゆく (yuku, 去く)
- 落ちる (ochiru)
去: Hán Nôm readings: khứ, khử, khu
- quá khứ (過去, “the past”)
- trừ khử (除去, “to eliminate”)
- khử trùng (去蟲, “to disinfect, to decontaminate”)